Thursday, December 17, 2009









Where do I start? It was a whirlwind of unplanned events that brought us to delivery day for our twin boys. First, I had to go to my doctors for a glucose test that morning. Unfortunately, when you ask a pregnant woman to fast for 12 hrs, then drink a bottle of orange sugar water, it just results in vomiting & cancellation of the test. I went home and ate a blueberry muffin & some milk. I was feeling fine until I had a debilitating back spasm. After being on the floor for some time in excruciating pain, I got the pleasure of vomiting again. John helped me to bed & I napped for about 2 hrs.


I decided to get up and had quite a surprise. I immediately called the doctor & they sent me straight to labor & delivery. After my arrival & an examination, they confirmed that I had ruptured, but the babies were fine. I was given medicine to stop my contractions & a steroid shot for the babies lung development. I am only 33 wks & 2 days so the decision was made to care flight me via helicopter to St Vincents Womens Hospital in Indianapolis. Based on our prior visits, we had planned on delivery there. Unfortunately, John had to drive over & didn't get to ride with me. He was a little bummed & I also had envisioned my first helicopter ride being much more enjoyable & breathtaking than viewing the cornfields of Indiana.


Upon arrival in Indianapolis (a 35 minute flight), the goal was to stop my contractions & get another steroid shot in me for the babies lung development. After 2 hrs of consistent contractions & little pain relief, they had no choice, but to do my C section. I took a turn for the worse, and everything went very quickly. I was wheeled to surgery & the babies were born.


On December 16, 2009, at 11:02pm Carson Keller Downing was born weighing 3lbs 1.5oz and measuring 15 inches in length. Then at 11:06pm Graham Edward Downing was born weighing 5lbs 1oz and measuring 17.5 inches in length. Both babies were whisked away immediately after delivery without any sound of a cry. As a mother, it was very alarming & frightening. John was able to find out the babies were doing fine & being taken to the NICU.


I was wheeled to recovery & after 1.5 hrs, I finally got to see my babies. The pictures above show the oxygen they are receiving & all the other monitoring lines that are being used to help our babies.
As of today, both boys are off of oxygen and breathing well on their own. They are eating small amounts and we are taking one day at a time. We are dealing with minor issues and time will help them grow strong. Carson will continue to have heart monitoring and will have surgery when he is around 15 lbs.
We are so grateful for prayers & warm wishes that family & friends have shared with us. We are truly blessed to have our twins here before Christmas and pray for a steady & healthy recovery. Heavenly Father has been watching over our family & we know that our faith & prayers have blessed us well. Thank you & we love you all!

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

What an adventure! Wow! I'm so glad that things are ok! Yay for modern technology!!

I hope and pray things continue to go well for you and the boys! They are adorable!